Think your beauty products are all safe? Think again. Since regulations aren’t strict, many harmful or dangerous ingredients might be lurking in your favorite products. Check the label on your next purchase and watch out for these 5 bad ingredients:
1. Thimerosal - this dangerous preservative derived from mercury is often found in mascaras, which means you risk getting it in your eyes! Mercury is known to cause brain damage, and even though the levels found in cosmetics are very low and approved by the Food and Drug Administration, it increases your overall exposure which experts advise against.
2. Sodium Laureth Sulfates - this ingredient is a byproduct of chemical processing and is classified as a human and animal carcinogen (meaning it could cause cancer) by the EPA. Unfortunately, it’s still found in many beauty products that foam, like face wash and shampoo.
3. Toulene - often used in nail polish, this ingredient is a human reproductive and developmental toxin. It can even cause liver damage or affect your nervous system and cause memory loss and weakness.
4. Pthtalates - found in many deodorants, perfumes, nail polishes and hair sprays, these toxins have been known to negatively affect the development of children. Instead of products with fragrances, look for ones containing fragrant “essential oils” which aren’t dangerous.
5. Formaldehyde - formaldehyde (yup, the stuff they use to embalm dead bodies - gross, right?) is another offending ingredient. Not only will it stain your nails yellow when found in polishes, it is recognized as a carcinogen by the National Cancer Institute. Other products the stuff is found in include lotions, shampoos, soaps, body washes, sun blocks, toothpastes, and bubble baths.
The bottom line:
the more crazy-sounding ingredients there are in your product, the more harmful it probably is. Look for products with less than 10 total ingredients, and don’t be fooled by words like “natural” and “pure” - these labels aren’t regulated either. Check cosmeticdatabase.com
for a listing of products and their ingredients to make sure the ones you’re using now are safe!